5th SIETAR Europa Film & Media Festival
“FILMS OPEN EYES”
21-23 May 2015
The SIETAR Europa Film Festival, first held in 2006 in Sofia, Bulgaria, continues to screen selected documentaries as part of its major congresses. The festival now also features workshops on video editing, webinars and master classes. Each film screened is followed by an interactive program that may consist of Q&A's with film makers, discussions with the audience, panel discussions, and/or debates with experts, politicians, journalists or representatives from stakeholder organizations where intercultural themes are clearly embedded.
The 5th SIETAR Film & Media Festival 2015, to be held in Valencia, Spain, welcomes filmmakers whose work puts them at the interface of cultures. Valencia offers a meeting place for inter-culturalists, filmmakers and other professional artists and artisans from different cultural backgrounds. The location, Valencia, Spain, represents a visible example of the melding of cultures and modern technology. Its exposure to the Mediterranean shores and its rich historical and cultural heritage represents the potential of cultural synergies.
The theme of the SIETAR Europa 2015 congress is:
REFRESHING THE CULTURAL PARADIGM
- SHARING STORIES, THEORIES, NEXT PRACTICES -
(for more detailed information go to the Call for Papers page)
The added value of films
What cannot be accomplished through spoken and written texts is often achieved through the visual elements characteristic of the film screen, since film fascinates, stimulates, inspires and raises awareness in and among viewers. Film serves as a mirror to one’s own life and also helps to become familiar with others’ cultures. Films incite compassion, reflection, discussion and action. Films have an emotional appeal and can serve as a mouthpiece for intercultural professionals and as teaching and learning tools in education.
Myriad social media and virtual communities found, for example, on Facebook, FaceTime, webinars and cloud-based technologies create opportunities for discussing and sharing views on topics concerning how we can make use of film or film fragments for intercultural and virtual teaching, learning, training and coaching.
At the 2015 Congress in Valencia, we will offer congress attendees:
- Valuable, often prize-winning documentaries
- Q & A with the directors and/or producers of the films screened
- Panel discussions and/or a master class
- Workshops on creating and using films/film fragments in training sessions
- Opportunity to market selected films through the SIETAR Europa online presence.
Film submission is open to filmmakers and producers from any part of the world. This year we are especially encouraging submissions from filmmakers in Spain, Africa, the Middle East and Central & Eastern Europe. We encourage documentary makers to send recently produced documentaries.
Call for Films: Now closed
Regulations for Presenting at the Film & Media Festival
- The Festival is open to short and medium length films and video productions (preferably max. 60 minutes) with an acceptable physical format support (DVD, Blu Ray…)
- The entry must be in English or have English subtitles.
- The filmmaker ideally should be available for discussion (Q&A) with the audience after the screening (preferably being present at the screening, otherwise via Skype. The Congress organization has a limited budget to reimburse travel and accommodation expenses. If funding is needed this will be discussed on a case by case basis).
- The Festival organisation assumes that directors or producers who apply have the right to screen the film submitted, exempting the Festival of any legal liability.
SIETAR Europa is a non-profit organization and holds no commercial interest in the use of films screened in the congress. Therefore, if your film is selected, we ask you to offer the screening free of charge. Furthermore, we welcome sponsors to support the budget of this congress.
How to Submit a Proposal
- A link to a downloadable version of the full film. The Film Festival organisation is also grateful if you wish to provide a DVD versión of the Film to the address specified below.
- Press releases, if available
If there are more than one author/director/producer etc., please use the name of the one who will be leading the contact with the Congress organisers, and send the proposal from his/her email address.
If you submit more than one proposal send each proposal in a different email, specifying ONE, TWO, THREE... in the title and the word doc file (i.e. FILM ONE Smith_Joe; FILM TWO Smith_Joe).
Acknowledgment of receipt
All proposal submissions will receive acknowledgment of receipt within one week.
If you wish to provide a DVD version of the film please send it to:
SIETAR Europa Film and Media Festival 2015
Marianne van Eldik Thieme
Coordinator for the SIETAR FilmFestival
- Entries are CLOSED.
Filmmakers whose film has been selected will be asked to provide:
- An acceptable physical format for the Film screening (DVD, BluRay…), which will remain in possession of SIETAR Europa for internal / educational use only
- A clip (teaser trailer) of the Film for any future promotional purposes through public media like Internet. The clip would be included on the SIETAR Europa Valencia Congress website.
- Two photos of the production, along with a picture from the filmmaker, to be included on the Film Festival website and in the Congress catalogue (300 dpi). Photos will stay in the possession of the Festival organisation for promotional purposes.
- Verification of availability to travel to Valencia for the screening of his/her production.
A Glimpse into Previous Film Festivals
|Our first film festival in 2006 was a huge success. The theme of the SIETAR Sofia Film Festival was ‘Love across Cultures’. We screened: Divorce Iranian Style (Kim Longinotto), The Internet Bride(Simon Chambers), Fatal Reaction, Singapore, Mumbai, Moskow and New York(Marijke Jongbloed), Bride Kidnapping in Kyrgystan(Petr Lom) and Georgy and the Butterflies(Andrej Paonov).|
|At the Global Congress in Granada (2008) we screened: All White in Barking (Marc Isaac), A Way Out of the War on Terror (Chai Locher), Jerusalem Is Proud To Present (Nitzan Giladi), Mimoune (Gonzalo Balister), Satellite Queens: Behind the Scenes of a Prime Time Arab Talk Show(Brechtje van der Haak), The Headmaster and the Headscarves (Elizabeth Jones).|
|In Krakow in 2011, we screened: Pizza to Auschwitz (Moshe Zimerman), Sarabah(Maria Luisa Gambale and Gloria Bremer), Talhotblond (Barbara Schroeder), When China Met Africa(Marc Francis and Nick Francis), The Design of Fear (Zygmunt Bauman).|
|In Tallinn 2013, we screened: Special Flight (Fernand Melgar), Sisters in Law (Kim Longinotto), My Thai Bride (David Tucker). Also we organized webinar on using documentary film interactively in intercultural communication training by John Twitchin and we offered a Master class on Storytelling by Petra Lataster-Czisch and Peter Lataster, as well as a pre-congress day-long workshop on video editing basics.|
Please visit our website (archives.sietareu.org) for more information about the 2015 Congress.
See you in Valencia!