Call for Proposals by 15 March - SIETAR Spain Congress in Málaga
Dear Friends and Colleagues,
I'm happy to invite you to submit a presentation of your research results and work-related experience, insights and examples of best practices for our First SIETAR Spain Congress on INTERCULTURAL COMPETENCE: A KEY FOR INCLUSIVE ORGANIZATIONS before 15th March.
Our congress welcomes all those who are interested in exploring intercultural competence as a source of innovation, with the aim of making a multidisciplinary approach to diversity management an essential mechanism for achieving organizational goals in today’s globalized world.
Blessed with sunshine, Málaga, on the meditaron - the Mediterranean coast, has been chosen as the location for the congress due to its colourful and diverse ethnicity, as an important communications hub (check your flights now!). The congress runs 28-30 September 2018.
More info on www.sietar.es/congreso
SE Journal March - May 2018
The Journal March - May 2018 issue of the Sietar Europa Journal is now available. Click here to go to the SIETAR Journals page to download.
In this issue, you will find:
- an interview of Mai Nguyen-Phuong-Mai, an extraordinary and atypical intercultural professor at the Amsterdam School of International Business. Through her extensive research in neurology and evolutionary biology, she takes us on to a new perspective and clarity on what intercultural competence actually means.
- an article by Milton Bennett on how political correctness, an extreme form of relativism, generates bias and hostility. He argues that we need to make conscious commitments to constructing viable ways of living in the new world.
- a short and fun essay on the subtle differences in British and American communication styles.
President's Greeting 2018
Dear fellow SIETAR Europa members and friends,
It is a great honour to have been appointed to the role of President of SIETAR Europa. Over the years I have benefitted greatly from the insights, perspectives and knowledge gained from interactions with SIETAR members and enjoyed socialising, exchanging ideas and making friends at SIETAR events around the world. I am happy therefore to do whatever I can to further the aims of an organisation which plays such an important role in building better understanding across cultures.
Mark Twain famously said, ‘Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness.’ This may not always be the case, but SIETAR Europa plays an important role in promoting the values of openness, tolerance, inclusion and a real appreciation of diversity. In today's globalised, yet turbulent world, intercultural skills are more valuable than ever before, whatever your field or profession. I will be working closely with SIETAR Europa’s board and consulting with members to explore ways that we can expand our role and impact in this area for the benefit of the organisation and the wider community and look forward to connecting with many of you at our events or through our activities.
President SIETAR Europa
Contribute to SIETAR Intercultural Book Series
At SIETAR we want to encourage the development and application of knowledge, values and skills which enable effective intercultural relations at individual, group, organisation and community levels. Inspired by many discussions in the SIETAR network, the idea of publishing a collection of SIETAR intercultural training tools came to light.
Click here to learn how you can contribute.
SIETAR Europa Intercultural Book Series: Call for Contributions
We learn best from what we teach!
Every moment in a training setting is an opportunity for everyone in the room to reflect on and develop their own intercultural competencies. How we learn about navigating culture is shaped by our professions, travels, and personal interests. We want to support your learning environment by inviting YOU to submit your go-to training activity for virtual or face-to-face teams that integrates modern technologies and emerging practice styles, as well as elements of neuroscience and neurolinguistics with materials and instructions to be published in our SIETAR Intercultural Book Series, available in both e-book and print.
Click here to learn more.
President's New Year's message 2018
Dear SIETAR members,
Surprising how fast the days pass by and already we have 2018 soon ahead of us. In my head, I already feel half of 2018 has already flown by. If you empathise with this statement, then maybe this is a good signal telling us to stop, focus on the present, reflect on events of the past year, where we have been and clear our heads for where we are going.
When I reflect on SIETAR in 2017, there are so many achievements we shared as a community:
- A successful congress in Dublin where around 400 participants came together to discover, learn and share. We used this fun new app called Whova (remember it’s pronounced who and then va). We rekindled friendships, heard new thoughts and perspectives, were deeply involved with layers of discussions questioning our identities and culture, laughed a bit, cried a bit and danced a bit. I think many of us would have enjoyed dancing more…
- We completed a productive webinar year, thanks to the Events and Membership Committee, thank you to the events team!
- Our Communications Committee did an excellent job in Dublin but also globally by keeping us visible and significant, thank you communications team!
- Once again, we enjoyed the insights in the SIETAR Europa , a special thanks to Patrick Schmidt.
- We launched our first SIETAR Europa (intercultural) Cookbook! Do you have a copy, if not please pre-order it here.
- Special Interests Groups (SIG) continued to work on important issues, such as the migrant challenge and integration into Europe, with new SIGs being formed.
- New SIETARs are looking at being formed, both within SIETAR Europa (requests from SIETAR Scandinavia, SIETAR Greece) and within our global community (SIETAR South Africa, SIETAR Middle East, SIETAR Chile to name a few)
- SIETAR Europa took its steps for re-structuring further and has recently posted a call within our community for a Management and Operations Head to work with our board. This person will come on board as of 2018.
Already looking forward to 2018; we have:
- Our next congress venue committee shortlisted a number of potential venues for our 2019 SIETAR Europa Congress. With the agreement of the Board, we are happy to announce the next SIETAR Europa 2019 congress will be held in Mechelen, Belgium starting on Monday 27 May and ending on Sunday 2 June 2019. As previous years, Monday 27 -Wednesday 29 May will host pre-congress workshops and Thursday 30 May – Sunday 2 June will be congress days.
- In early 2018, we will send the call for applications for congress co-ordinators and a steering committee.
- Our events and webinar series for 2018 is already on line here with a diverse and exciting new program. Thanks go all the committee team members.
- A special thanks to Barbara Covarrubias Venegas who steps down after 3.5 years as the Head of the Communications Committee. Taking her place is Carla Cabrera Cuadrado, who has worked with the Communications Committee for some time. We also welcome Steve Miller, as new IT architect of SIETAR Europa on board. See here for who’s who on our committees.
- We also say goodbye to some board members who were part of the Executive officers, a special thank you to Silvia Bessler (SIETAR Spain) and Alexander Scheitza (Special Envoy from SIETAR Germany). Our current board members are listed here.
- We were sad to lose SIETAR Bulgaria who discontinue their activities in 2018. The remaining members will once again merge back into SIETAR Europa as Direct Members.
- We also have new Direct Member elections in January 2018 and once the Direct Members are selected, the Board will elect a new Executive Officers team; comprising a new President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary.
- A Management and Operations Head will join SIETAR Europa and put together a team to work on executing SIETAR Europa’s vision.
I am looking forward to continuing our task of professionalising SIETAR and making our organisation more efficient, with a clear focus on knowledge, outreach and customer orientation. The words Discover, Learn, Share speak loud and clear about the mission of SIETAR Europa.
I am often asked “What is SIETAR?” My answer is SIETAR is a community full of individuals dedicated to the intercultural field, who have a passion to make the world a better place through awareness, understanding and dialogue. SIETAR is SIETAR because of YOU; our members, because of each of you, your ability and perseverance to make a difference and maintain a community spirit. I thank you for supporting our congress, for the work you do, for continuing to keep the intercultural field important and significant. If you are able to participate in taking forward our mandate, please join one of our committees or submit an application to our different calls for volunteers. We welcome your active participation.
Not only am I thankful to our members, I am very thankful to be working with a talented and committed SIETAR Europa board. We plan to have our annual face to face board meeting in March 2018, possibly in Mechelen, which also gives us the opportunity to see our 2019 congress venue.
I have served on the SIETAR Europa board from 2013 as a Direct Member representative and since 2015 as the SIETAR Europa President. It has been an honour to serve SIETAR Europa and to be more active in the organisational and strategic development of SIETAR Europa. Within whichever capacity; as a member or board member, I look forward to 2018, to continuing our dialogues and to meeting you somewhere in the world. In the meantime, I and the SIETAR Europa Board take this opportunity to wish you and your loved ones a happy holiday season and new year.
President SIETAR Europa
Call for Head of Management & Operations Team
As part of the new structure of SIETAR Europa, The SIETAR Europa Board and Executive Officers are looking for a Management and Operations Team (MOT) Leader to work with us on a voluntary basis.
Click here to learn more.
SE Journal December 2017 - February 2018
The Journal December 2017 - February 2018 issue of the Sietar Europa Journal is now available. Click here to go to the download page.
In this issue, you will find:
- an interview of Steven Crawford, an highly engaged and passionate intercultural professor at the JAMK University in Finland. He represents a new generation of teachers, who encourage students to use multimedia tools to apply theory to real life-life situations.
- an article about the socialization of Chinese women, who traditionally are expected to get married by age 25. This has long-term psychological significance, especially for facilitators working with such persons.
- the experience of a 50th high school reunion and the realization that one’s cultural core identity never leaves us.
Call for Volunteers!
Interested in staying abreast of the latest research and practices in the field, meeting fascinating people from a broad range of horizons around the world and participating in shaping the future?
SIETAR India Conference - February 2018
Dear SIETAR Friends and Members,
The SIETAR India team is very pleased and excited to announce the opening of registrations for its much-awaited conference. Early bird tickets have just gone on sale for the conference to be hosted in Pune on February 17 - 18th! The discounted rates will be available until 30th November.
For more information about the conference visit: http://www.sietar-india.org/international-conferences.html
SIETAR Europa cook book
SIETAR Europa now has its official cook book Facebook page. Check it out now!
Cultural Orientations Framework (COF™) assessment certification
Leading and Coaching Across Cultures
Advanced International Seminar
Certification: Cultural Orientations Framework (COF™) assessment
Zagreb, Croatia: 15 - 17 November, 2017
(Early bird ends 31 July)
Places are filling fast. Register early to reserve your spot.
Philippe Rosinski, global leadership pioneer and author, delivers this advanced seminar designed for seasoned coaches, consultants, interculturalists, senior executives, managers and HR/LD professionals.
The cultural dimension is integrated with the traditional managerial and psychological coaching perspectives, to maximise opportunities from diversity and achieve superior and sustainable results when working in a global environment.
- Learn unique Coaching Across Cultures methodologies and application of new tools (Global Scorecard and Global Coaching Process);
- Become Certified in using and administering the Cultural Orientations Framework (COF™) online assessment with individuals and teams (particularly useful for executive coaching, team development and cultural audits);
- Join the LCAC Global Alumni to start networking and creating new business opportunities.
Highly acclaimed by seasoned professionals worldwide, the seminar includes a rich mix of experiential activities, favouring an action learning approach.
10% discount for SIETAR members!
For more information about the seminar and how to enrol visit http://www.globalcoaching.pro/seminars/icalrepeat.detail/2017/11/15/19/-/lcac-seminar-in-zagreb-croatia-certification-cof-assessment-15-17-november-2017.html
SE Journal June - August 2017
The June - August 2017 issue of the Sietar Europa Journal is now available. Click here to go to the download page
SIETAR Europa General Assembly Meeting 2017 in Dublin
SIETAR Europa – General Assembly Meeting
May 26, 2017 at 18:00 GMT
We are pleased to invite you to a General Assembly meeting on Friday 26 May 2017, in Dublin from 18:00-19:30 GMT. The General Assembly will be held in:
St Patrick's Campus
Dublin City University
Please note, this General Assembly will be held face to face as part of the Dublin congress. We will do our best to offer the possibility of virtual attendance. More information will be provided in the coming weeks.
Please find below all the files relating to the General Assembly. These include:
- Agenda and invitation
- Board of Directors Activity Report (June 2016-May 2017)
- Minutes from General Assembly in June 2016
- Treasurer’s Report (2015-6) and Proposed 2017 Budget
- Proposed Gathering in 2018
According to the Statutes of SIETAR Europa: All members (full and honorary members) shall have one vote in the General Assembly. The quorum for the General Assembly shall be 25% of the total membership unless stated differently in these statutes. If a quorum is not present, then a second meeting may be called in which no quorum is required. Decisions are taken by simple majority of the voting members present or represented by proxy unless stated differently in these statutes. The cast valid votes count. Abstentions are counted as spoiled/invalid.
If you can't attend and vote, you can download the proxy form, fill it in and return it to us to appoint a proxy.
We look forward to seeing you in Dublin and to meeting you at the General Assembly!
The SIETAR Europa Board
Page 2 of 8